Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Magic of Persistence Taught by a Three-year old

Over the last fifteen years I have consulted, advised, trained or supported more than 5000 entrepreneurs in their pursue of the Global Dream. It is no longer an American Dream to be your own boss it is a Global Dream. The opportunity to do what you want - when you want it - and how you want it. The challenge though in reaching those dreams is flagged with constant persistence of milestones. Often entrepreneurs show up tired and hungry from the pursuit of success. Usually the words they share involve a consistent theme.

" I have been selling my product/service for years and I can't make a living"
" I have spent hours creating the best product/service why is no one buying?
"Honestly I don't know what is wrong with people -they need my product and service".
" There is no problem with my product or service I just can't find the right customers".
" Look if it was so easy to achieve success everyone would be rich - I am just waiting for my turn".




There is a science and magic to being in business. The science is understanding your product or service and positioning it to compete in the marketplace. The magic though is riddled within the constraints of the entrepreneur. It is the ability to be persistent. The ability to wake up everyday and hustle. To walk away from every 'No' with the belief that 'Yes' is right around the corner if  you can just hold on a little bit more.

My three-year old seems to have mastered the art of persistence with no formal training. Typically at least 3-4 times per week he will convince me to do something that I originally said 'No' to at least five or more times.

A scenario usually goes like this:
Marin: Mom can I have a lollipop?
Mom: No Marin! You can't have a lollipop right now?   (reluctance 1)
Marin: But Mom I want a lollipop.
Mom: I know Marin but it is getting late and we have to go to bed soon so no lollipop. (r 2)
Marin: Whah! Why can't I have a lollipop?
Mom: Marin I told you that its too late to have a lollipop. (r3)
Marin: Boo Hoo! I want my lollipop!
Mom: Marin mommy loves you so much but you can't have the lollipop. (r4)
Marin: Boo Hoo! Dad ....Dadddy - mommy won't give me a lollipop.
Dad:  Kedma can you give Marin the lollipop?
Mom: No - I told him he can't have the lollipop.   (r5)
Dad: Come on it is just a lollipop.
Mom: I know it is just a lollipop but we are going to bed soon . (r6)
Marin: Mom --please can I have the lollipop?
Mom: Ok Marin - here is the lollipop (sale completed)

So in this scenario it took 6 reluctance for me to finally agree to the lollipop. The sales rep (Marin) continued to ask for the sale (lollipop). While there were some added persuasion measures (Dad stepped in to persuade) it is no different then a sales representative boss stepping in to give a better deal or position the deal better. Eventually the persistence outwore my reluctance and I gave in.

Having been a sales champion for fifteen years I can tell you that it takes an average of 5-10 reluctance to get a 'Yes' from a customer. Sure sometimes it is easier but the rule of thumb is you can expect 5-10 no's on any deal. So why do entrepreneurs give up on the first or second 'no'? I have no idea except to presume they don't want to bother the customer, sell them something they don't need, or they feel a 'No' is a 'No'. A 'No' is a 'No' but its you job to continue to convince them that they need you. Children have built this mastery for years and all across the world children are getting their lollipops because they have understood the magic of persistence.

Finding the funds is no different. You will get No after No after No and eventually you will find a way to get a Yes maybe not from that customer right now but eventually a Yes will show up. So the next time you are faced with a 'No' ask yourself how bad do you want to taste that lollipop and keep going until it is in your possession and you are walking away with the deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment